Carla is a highly experienced telecoms, media and technology lawyer. She led one of the best rated telecoms practices in South Africa where she was ranked as a Band 1 lawyer by Chambers Global. Since moving to the UK, Carla has held senior regulatory positions at two of the UK’s major mobile operators.
Carla has extensive commercial, regulatory and litigation experience in the technology sector:
- She is best known for her role in assisting a client to litigate successfully against the regulator and the Minister of Communications, in a move that effectively opened up the South African telecommunications market to competition.
- She has negotiated and drafted complex, high value technology contracts – such as technology turnkey agreements, various types of software agreements, engineering, procurement and construction contracts, operation and maintenance agreements, MVNO agreements, undersea cable agreements, IT outsourcing contracts and distribution agreements.
- Carla advised South Africa’s first MVNO (Virgin Mobile) to negotiate its wholesale capacity purchase agreement with a locally based mobile network operator.
- She helped to establish the second national (fixed line) operator in South Africa, including by negotiating its licence conditions with the regulator.
- In the UK her experience includes litigating and drafting regulatory disputes before regulators such as Ofcom and the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Carla also negotiated amendments to a number of BT/Openreach’s standard industry agreements for regulated products.
She holds an LLM in Communications Law, where she specialised in telecommunications, broadcasting and satellite regulatory law. Carla works on a consultancy basis at Preiskel & Co. Away from the office she is a keen artist.