Welcome to my profile page as a solicitor and senior consultant at Preiskel & Co LLP.
I have a mixed contentious and non-contentious practice, where I help clients in dealing with all sorts of commercial, media, communications and public policy matters.
All my legal work is informed by my keen understanding of how law, mainstream media, social media, businesses, charities, governments and public policy all work (and sometimes do not work) in practice.
I help clients with addressing sudden problems, where I draw on a wide experience in dealing with sudden legal and media crises.
And I also help clients on their legal and media strategies for achieving their medium to longer term commercial or public policy objectives. I provide hard practical advice on risk allocation and management, whether it is for disputes, transactions or general business or project development.
Often I am asked to advise on complex or fast-moving situations that involve a public interest element and/or an uncertain area of developing law and/or tricky or novel areas of media / technology / communications.
My clients include:
– international corporations and large and small companies;
– charities, public bodies, pressure groups, political organisations and political figures; and
– service providers, executives, creators, publishers, producers, journalists and others working in the media and communications sectors.
My areas of legal expertise include:
– contract and commercial law (both in dealing with disputes and in drafting / negotiating commercial agreements);
– media law (including clearances, content liability, privacy and confidentiality, non-disclosure agreements, defamation, and copyright);
– communications law (including regulatory and competition law);
– internet and social media law;
– public law and public policy (including judicial review, freedom of information, and public procurement); and
– the impact of Brexit.
I have acted in cases up to and including the Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice, and I was the successful appeal solicitor in the leading case on social media and criminal liability under the Communications Act.
I have been with Preiskel & Co LLP for over ten years.
I was trained at Baker & McKenzie before becoming a litigation solicitor at Herbert Smith and then a government lawyer at the Treasury Solicitor. I have worked in-house in the public, private and charitable sectors.
By way of further background, I was born and brought up in Birmingham and was educated at a local comprehensive school and tertiary college, and then at Oxford and Birmingham Universities; I was then called to the Bar by Lincoln’s Inn with two Bar scholarships; and I cross-qualified as a solicitor in 2001.
Once upon a time I was also theTimes lawyer of the week and one of the Lawyer magazine’s “Hot 100”.
As David Allen Green I am also a writer and commentator on law and policy matters, a contributing editor at the Financial Times, and a columnist at Prospect.
Long ago I had a well-known blog called Jack of Kent (for which I was shortlisted for the Orwell Prize), and I still have my own law and policy blog and Twitter account with too many followers.
Lord Justice Leveson, Report into the Culture, Practices and Ethics of the Press
Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa 2013
“very good on litigation strategies”