Maddi is an experienced civil litigator. She currently works on contentious and non-contentious matters across the TMT sectors, with a focus on competition and commercial litigation. Prior to joining Preiskel she acted for claimants on small claims, fast track and multi-track personal injury matters. She also has experience in the regulatory and healthcare environments, having previously worked as an investigator at the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Maddi is recently qualified as a solicitor but has over 8 years pre-qualification legal experience in litigation, regulation and office and project management.
Maddi is a member of the IIC and the Competition Law Association, has been involved in a number of publicised multi-track, multi-party competition cases and is a contributing author to UK chapter of Getting The Deal Through’s UK Foreign Investment Review chapter. She has also been involved in submissions on competition law matters to select committees, the Competition and Markets Authority and DCMS.
Some of Maddi’s recent work includes:
- Advising on and drafting reports on telecoms regulation and compliance matters, including the Electronic Communications Code, General Conditions and GDPR;
- Advising on regulator and stakeholder interaction;
- Advising on competition law in commercial contracts in the TMT sectors;
- CMA investigations, including acting for merging parties and opposing parties in phase 1 and 2 merger investigations and remedies proposals where competition concerns are identified;
- EU Commission investigations, including acting for parties opposing phase 1 and 2 mergers, advising on responses to formal requests for information, acting for complainants and drafting complaints in competition investigations for abuse of dominance and cartels;
- Acting for an Appellant in a multi-party competition appeal against OFCOM in the Competition Appeal Tribunal, in which a significant market review was remitted to Ofcom;
- Acting for the Defendant in a multi-million pound trademark dispute;
- Acting for the Intervening Party in a Competition Appeal Tribunal appeal;
- Advising on spectrum regulation, spectrum auctions and spectrum auction disputes;
- Advising on applications for Judicial Review;
- Advising on applications to intervene in European General Court appeals;
- Assisting in the drafting of, and undertaking research for, publications on critical national infrastructure, online gambling and regulatory reform;
- Advising on ICC investigations, GDPR, subject access requests;
- Acting for a polling company in an ICC (data protection) investigation and subsequent dispute over misuse of personal data;
- Advising and participating in mediation in £40m shareholder dispute;
- Costs negotiation, assessment and settlement in High Court matters, small and multi-track cases;
- Acting for claimants and defendants in small claims, fast and multi-track commercial disputes in the TMT sectors;
- Sitting behind Counsel in interim applications in the High Court;
- Acting as outdoor clerk in interim applications in the County Court;
- Advising on and negotiating pre-action settlement in commercial and shareholder disputes in the TMT sectors;
- Negotiating and advising on costs recovery, pre- & post-Jackson CFAs and ATE insurance; and
- Part 8 claims, including restoration of companies, applications under the Insolvency Act (non-insolvency specialist) and child settlements.
Maddi holds a 2:1 LLB from the LSE and a Masters in International Legal Practice, with distinction, having completed a dissertation on successful claims management and maximum recovery in competition cases against online giants. Maddi has a particular interest in the online sectors and developing technologies.