Preiskel & Co is internationally recognised in the top independent guides for its leading expertise in the telecommunications sector.
Our lawyers’ considerable telecoms industry experience extends across all the continents and they have been at the forefront of telecoms liberalization across the globe. Our multi-lingual lawyers have the benefit of having worked within the industry for incumbent operators, MVNOs and start-ups, as well as in telecoms related investment banking. This deep industry and legal understanding enables our clients to benefit from cost-effective, strategic first class advice.
Preiskel & Co’s growing list of impressive clients include major international and national wireless and fixed operators, governments, regulators, incumbent operators, mobile application and service providers, MVNOs, MVNEs, alternative carriers, and equipment manufacturers and suppliers. Many highly-innovative owner-managed operators have also turned to us, benefitting from the client partners’ knowledge of regulatory, corporate and commercial matters. In addition, we are routinely instructed by consultancy firms and by other law firms.
Multi-National Telecoms Operators / Governments / Regulators
We have a breadth of experience working with these entities, including:
- obtaining the whole range of fixed and wireless licences or other regulatory approvals;
- advising PTTs on the whole range of telecommunications regulatory issues such as interconnection, numbering, mobile termination charges, universal service obligations, bundling of services, VoIP issues, regulatory treatment of Mobile Virtual Network Operators, Codes of Practice;
- advising governments in emerging markets on the drafting of new telecoms legislation and ancillary regulations;
- advising PTTs, governments and mobile operators on strategic sales, spectrum auctions and complex telecoms financings;
- advising telecommunications regulators on the adjudication of major interconnection disputes between the fixed telephony incumbent and mobile operators;
- advised a European PTT on the launch of its telephony services in the UK via carrier-pre-selection;
- advised the Government of Tanzania on its telecommunications privatisation regulatory regime;
- advised Cable & Wireless Plc in connection with a number of strategic acquisitions and commercial projects;
- advised PCCW on telecommunications related transactions in the UK and in China;
- provided telecoms regulatory advice on the $300 million acquisition of a European PTT; and
- advising Sky Italia on the latest regulatory and commercial issues.
We are adept at advising cable operators on the legal issues they may face. In particular, we have:
- advised a cable operator on establishing an MVNO;
- advised a telephony over cable telecoms provider on the regulatory treatment of bundling and joint-marketing by telecoms operators in the UK, Spain, France and Canada;
- advised a cable provider on issues relating to launching a telephony service, bundling of services;
- advised a cable operator on online gaming issues;
- advised a cable operator on music copyright issues; and
- advised several major cable operators on a range of UK and EU regulatory issues.
Voice Over IP/Broadband
Our team has:
- acted for leading provider of VoIP services Inclarity on various contracts/negotiations for the provisions of its services throughout the UK and internationally;
- advised on regulatory issues of providing VOIP across Europe.
WiFi & Wimax & UWB, 5.4 GHZ
Our experience includes:
- advising an innovative supplier of mesh networks (using 3G, WIFI and WIMAX) on funding and other matters;
- advising an African fixed to wireless provider;
- advising a developer of UWB technology; and
- advising a provider of WiFi hotspots and related software solutions.
In this area, our team has:
- advised an international satellite joint venture; and
- advised on issues relating to Intelsat/Inmarsat and Eutelsat.
For further information, contact Daniel Preiskel, Jose Saras or Ronnie Preiskel.